Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 timing discussion

Some time ago I transplanted an EA81 into my trike. An adapter plate enabled the mating of it to a VW automatic. But I realised that the timing of the EA was not possible with the flywheel which was discarded in the process. So how was timing possible?

Along came a friend with a Brumby (Brat) and we checked the timing for 8 degrees BTDC on his Brumby flywheel. Then we placed the timing light on the crankcase pully. There is a notch on the pulley. That notch was flickering on the block halves.

So Subaru in their wisdom placed a notch on the pully set at 8 degrees.  And as the pulley has about 360mm as its circumference every degree advance thereafter is one millimeter. Clever eh?

Has anyone else realised this? How do other EA81/2 owners to date have timed their engines without the EA flywheel in the traditional manner? There must be a heap of guys out there that have discarded the flywheel like me. In fact any EA owner that adapts the engine to something else. Just wondering how they got by. I'd be interested.

IMG_0062-1.jpg

Edited by tweety
  • Like 1

@tweety

Aren't you running SPFI? You can push the timing up to about 28 degrees to make more power without any risk on good quality fuel. They really "wake up" with a little more advance.  Remember, the factory specifications are 25+ years old  ;)  In my opinion modern fuels seem to require slightly different specs. Try and push the timing up a slightly from stock (if your fueling properly)  and see if it rattles. If so, then back it off a bit and road test again until you find the "sweet spot".

Edited by Crazyeights

Took the SPFI off months ago. Am running a weber 38/38 synchromic carb now.  I just took it up a steep hill about 6 times. Kept advancing it and found it was really good at 12 degrees. Above that it rattles...pings. Thanks