Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock 1990 legacy ls full load awd sedan, automatic with 220 000km has a CEL code of 33.  Looked it up and it up and it says Vehicle speed sensor.  I did some research and I am a bit confused.  Does this CEL 33 mean the sensor at the tranny end of the speedo cable?  Is this the only Vehicle  Speed Sensor for the car? Some things I read imply it has more than one, but if it does how do I know which one is bad?  My tachometer only works intermitently and the their is a loud screeching noise coming from behind the speedometer in the winter when it's cold outside.  Screeching noise goes away when car interior warms up, but it it is still barely audilbel if you listen carefully, sounds like plastic gear noise I think. Not sure this is related but thought I would mention it. I am not sure if its the speedo cable that needs to be replaced to stop the screeching or is it the part it plugs into on the circuit board on the back of the speedo? Any way to diagnose this?   Car seems to have bad pick up, ok around town but I was on the highway and floored it once, ran rough and almost stalled out.  Thanks for taking the time to read this, I am a diehard Subaru fan, car is mint with no rust and I want to drive it another 10 to 15 years.

Any advise or past experience would be appreciated.

So the Vehicle Speed Sensor CEL 33 means I have to change, just the cable?  if the cable is not snapped how would it give a CEL code? Is there a sensor on the end of the cable on the tranny end? I am still a bit confused.