Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I have just pulled the first Front CV shaft from my 1998 gen 2 outback and the new shaft I bought is different,

The seller assured me it was correct but I couldn't know the difference until I put them side by side.

Have I been stuffed around and given the wrong parts?

Do I need to return these and get the correct ones or do these work just look different?

Thanks Scott

Ps. Being it's Sunday and I will have to return them in a weekday I am a little Sh@@@@d off that the car will have to sit in the shed for at least a week if they are wrong !

post-56852-0-42409500-1430010833_thumb.jpg

post-56852-0-12622000-1430010857_thumb.jpg

Are they a different length as the second picture suggests? otherwise, it'll work fine. Newer axles have the tone ring on the axle instead of bolted behind the hub, it won't hurt anything, though. If they're the same length it'll work great.

Sorry the second picture is a little deceptive. The old ones were stretched out and the new were pushed in. Pushing them to the same position the New one is shorter but only by 5 millimetres.

Checked the invoice and it says 1996 to 2003 outback and the part numbers in the box do match that

Edited by ScottAust

Your original axle probably has a tripod style inner joint and the replacement has a double offset ball type inner joint.

Difference between an auto trans axle and a manual trans axle.

Still works just the same. As long as the splines count the same it'll work fine.

Sorry the second picture is a little deceptive. The old ones were stretched out and the new were pushed in. Pushing them to the same position the New one is shorter but only by 5 millimetres.

Checked the invoice and it says 1996 to 2003 outback and the part numbers in the box do match that

You're fine then. At some point around 2000 they changed from the really stupid tone ring bolted to the hub to one mounted on the axle, but kept it such that new axles are reverse compatible. That's why it has a tone ring on it. Other than that, throw it in there and you're good to go.