Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy ej22 swap questions

So I've read somewhere that the 95's were a really funky year and that the easiest ej22 swap into an ea82 car would be a 90-94. But, I can get a really good deal right now on a 95 and that would kick my butt into gear and get that swap done. So are the 95's obd1 or 2? How much more complicated is it to swap it into my loyale vs a 90-94? Pros and cons? Thanks guys!

get the 95 engine if it's a good one and good deal.

there's no reason OBDII should be any more complicated....unless it's just more wiring.  they're otherwise simple and easy to swap and have nothing singifciant electronically to worry about.

another option is use a 1990-1994 intake manifold on a 1995 EJ22 - so then your 1995 EJ22 is running off an OBD I 1990-1994 EJ22.  so youre 1995 is OBD I then.

See I've always read that wiring is a lot different different, and that 95 was a funky OBDII vs the 96-01 being that it was the early stages of the new system or something. That and I've read swapping OBDII systems into the ea cars is a bit more complicated because the computers are a lot more sensitive then the stupid OBDI, so I won't have as much room for error

It's definitely a good deal though, my friend has owned the car for a year and a half now and he got into a little fender bender and it got totaled so he bought it back and want's to part it out or flip it. The car still runs fantastic the damage was all cosmetic so it's the perfect candidate. But, being that I've never done this swap before and that it's OBDII, I just want to make sure I'm not way over my head if I take it vs. getting an OBDI