Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Planning my swap ahead of time (7-8 months HOPEFULLY)

Okay, so I have my 1986 BRAT, and have just put a weber on it and all that good stuff, I have another thread going with all of that so I'll leave it there. I am planning, in the future, hopefully near rather than far, to make this thing a little bit faster..I mean, who wouldn't want to smoke a newer charger or mustang with a Brat? Anyways, I'm thinking something a little faster than an EJ22, if it is possible. Would a 2.5l out of an STI be able to fit without extensive modifications? Cost aside (just gathering info), what would be the best way to get a brat to around 300hp while still keeping 4wd or at least AWD? Naturally I plan to swap the 4 speed transmission as well. This will be my first engine swap to something not meant to be in the vehicle, I've done it in the past with Pontiacs, Lincolns, and Chevy's, however they were all in all, replacements not "swaps". So what would be ideal here? I would like to keep the stock look as much as possible.

DOHC EJ motors will not fit inside EA81 frame rails without serious modifications to said rails. You'd be better off using an EJ22T or a high compression hybrid EJ25 (EJ20 block w/ EJ22 heads) - search "EJ Frankenmotor" for info.

This is an absolutely massive undertaking in which you would need to upgrade the suspension and brakes to deal with the power of a turbo EJ25, most of which require major work and modifications. Not trying to put you off, but I'd start with an EJ22 swap first - you might find you'd be happy enough with the power as it is.

Edited by rxleone

Well I plan on getting another vehicle to get around while I am doing the modifications so I wont worry too much about time, and I've got a buddy that will do any major welding I may need in exchange for beer, so i don't have to worry there either. After doing a bit more research I'm liking the EJ22T idea and seeing as the vehicle did sit since 2006 in Louisiana weather, the brake components all pretty much need replacing anyways, as does most of the suspension components. Of course, I'll be replacing and upgrading those prior to doing the swap anyways.