Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had this problem going on for a couple of years or so now, and finally ready to do something about it.  A/C will run cold for anywhere from a few minutes up to an hour or so, then the compressor will "slip out of gear" and the fan will just blow ambient-temp air.  I can eventually get the compressor to turn back on by toggling the A/C button off and on multiple times, but it takes anywhere from a dozen to 40-50 toggle tries to get it.  This happens regardless if I'm starting with a cold start, have been running errands around town (multiple stops), or extended highway driving. 

Any ideas, before I head to a dealer?

I've had the same problem on my 2004 Forester XT. The best explanation / fix I've found is the magnetic clutch gap has worn a bit too much and can't stay pulled in. Adjusting the gap involves pulling the clutch plate hub and removing a shim to reduce the gap distance. I haven't tried to fix mine yet since I just rebuilt the engine after a spun rod bearing "event".

I'll try to find the link to post here. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-adjust-c-compressor-clutch-116835

This is a different post than the one I had found before, but uses similar procedure and tools to do the adjustment.

Edited by Richard Young

Sounds like a A/C clutch going bad... My 03 Baja did the same thing. I was thinking it was a low charge because the compressor will cycle if low on charge or while charging until properly filled but after knowing I had a proper fill it would do the same thing but if I popped the hod and hit the compressor clutch it would allow the magnet to engage and work for a limited time. They are not hard to replace at all but you need to get the system evacuated of any refrigerant prior to any service of the A/C system.

Greg