Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW front O2 sensor issue

Hi all,

I have a 1999 California spec OBW, and I've got an issue with the connector on its front O2 sensor.

In taking off the exhaust in order to remove the transmission, I accidentally let it drop before I had disconnected the O2 sensors. The rear sensor was fine, but on the front sensor, the metal prongs slid out of the plastic clip that held them in. (Pictures below) What I need to know is in which orientation to reattach the prongs to the plastic clip. Has anyone else had this happen to them that might know which way around it goes? (It matters because the plastic clip, though a symmetrical triangle, has the pinch clip thing on one side of it and thus only goes in one way.) If not, does anyone perhaps have a pinout for that O2 sensor?

Thanks!

Edited by Husky

IIRC, in the other connector there should also be a pin with gold on it. That's the sensor signal pin. Connect gold to gold.

The other two (silver) are for the heater element and orientation doesnt really matter for those. If you get a code for O2 sensor heater circuit reverse those two and see if it goes away.

So I managed to find the wiring diagram for the sensor at this link

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Barlogio/2010-11-27_160852_leg113a.png

What I am wondering about now is which wires go to where on the sensor side of things. The sensor itself has two white wires and one black wire, with the black wire having gold on it as Fairtax4me mentioned. From what I've read, Fairtax4me is right about the two white wires being heater wires and being interchangable, so I want to know where the black wire goes. I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams, am I right in thinking that the yellowred wire is the sensor wire in this case?

Edited by Husky

Actually, scratch that. I took at look on the car side of things and only one of the connectors is gold there, being the black wire, #3 on the diagram. I think the yellowred is actually the ground connection for the heater?

Edit: I found a pinout for the ECU. Pin 23 on the ECU is for the sensor, and pin 38 is for the heater, so the black wire on my sensor should theoretically go to the black wire on my car and the two white wires should go to either of the other two wires. I'll do that and it hopefully won't throw a code.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Husky