Ultimate Subaru Message Board

last I checked into it, Extra-S HAS begun being offered in liter bottles from Subaru. Still, it may not be commonly available yet at dealers.

Some folks have been able to take their own containers and get them filled at a local dealer from their big bucket.

I'd first find out if getting it in EITHER form was an option from my dealer - if it is, ask them to match online prices. If that doesn't wrk, get it from online.

many people just use name-brand gear oil. NON-synthetic GL-5 in the manual trans, either in the rear diff.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

oh, only because many people report synchro problems/clashing. The trans has to share fluid with the diff so, maybe compromises were made to make everything work with gl-5? seems synthetic gl-5 may not let synchors reach the best speed for shifting smoothly.

big thread about trans oil at nasioc - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674 , but, just use either Extra-S or non-synth gear oil. maybe go thru tthat thread if you have shifting issues.

no fluid will fix a broken transmission - but you can find fluids that will help with some shifting problems.

No shifting issues on my end, just trying to do some preventative maintenance to a common high neglect area. I figure a fluid change at 100k miles might make the transmission last as long as the engine!  :lol:

I have yet to replace that joint to clean up the slopping shifting. Reading some DIY's right now actually.

Gonna focus on the control arm / bushing issue before the transmission fluid.

Seems like I'll be ordering the Extra S from fred beans after all. Might save my pennies and get the license plate cover (84927AC020) and soak my lock as suggested earlier so i can (hopefully) start locking my hatch. Should I replace the handle while I'm at it?

Edit:

Sorry to edit on the fly, but according to a rep at subarupartsforyou, the extra S oil has been replaced with high performance gear oil. This is a full synthetic, however. The rep mentions that it will not cause problems with my shifting, and should actually improve it. This explains the concerns of the individual on amazon who had received a different product when ordering Extra S. The SOA427V1700 part number I listed is for the High Performance gear oil. I requested more information as well as a quote on 5 quarts even though it's not listed on their page as for sale. I'll keep everyone updated.

Edited by TypeOPositive

This is the information I was given upon request...

Here's more info for you......

PB001136- K0322AA093 - Gear oil claim reimbursement info

Post Date 07/21/2011 11:39:00 AM Source mjam Part Number(s) K0322AA093 GO EXTRA S 20L
SOA635011 TRANSAXL LUB NON JUSTY 1Q Attachments  

Part number K0322AA093 is a 20 liter container of gear oil no longer available from SOA. The new quart bottle is available from a third party supplier as a drop shipment .Please use quart bottle part number SOA427V1700 as the replacement.

For claim reimbursement purposes, please use part number SOA635011 per quart.

The link is here
https://www.subarupartsforyou.com/soa427v1700.html

Third party ehh? Very interesting... I'm guessing this third party would be Idemitsu??

Edit: Typo

Edited by TypeOPositive