Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is consider good compression ?

I have a 1987 GL Dual Range EA82 Hitachi stock Carburated wagon.

I pulled the motor, resealed , Headgaskets, DIY head resurfacing, hand ground the valves. 286K miles sat for 3 years and had a rough prior life.

found the vacuum advance unit defective (Different post).

I did a cold compression test today. Airfilter removed, plugs removed,coil wire disconnected, and wide open throttle.the results astounded me.

140# in all cylinders with no deviation!

Is this possible? I am hoping so . She runs great other than a blow by in the aircleaner issue which I will make a oilcatch can per other posts here on this awesome site.and of course the vacuum advance issue.

Thank you:)

HA HA The gauge is my buddies he has used it through the years most recently on his Ford ranger. He can't remember exactly the readings but it did show differences and 0# on one hole so we are certain it is functioning. We think that due to the readings the motor must have been rebuilt at some point. Hard to believe cuz it was a pasty oily nasty mess when I started this "little 2 day project 3 weeks ago"

Yes I am interested in what numbers you come up with. Cheers:)