Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to buy a 96 or newer Suby. I really want a manual but will opt for an auto if need be. Any thing to stay away from (2.5 vs 2.2, Auto vs manual)

Looking manly at the sedans over the wagon. Any help will be appricated.

Thanks for the link Capman2k.

-Jeremy

AKA 55willy elsewhere online

i have 97 OB wagon, 2.5l. this is my first automatic - i bought it because of my fiance. and i am impressed by it - very smooth shifting and car has still lot's of power.

the problem- slight engine oil leak which seems to be common for sub

I'm looking to buy a 96 or newer Suby. I really want a manual but will opt for an auto if need be. Any thing to stay away from (2.5 vs 2.2, Auto vs manual)

Looking manly at the sedans over the wagon. Any help will be appricated.

Thanks for the link Capman2k.

-Jeremy

AKA 55willy elsewhere online

The 2.2 and 5spd are probably your best options for mileage and reliability. My 91 AWD wagon with 116k get 29-32 mpg on the highway consistently.

Stay away from 2.5 from 96-99 they have major head gasket issues.

2000 and up 2.5 have redesigned head gaskets and they still have some issues but not as bad as early 2.5 phase I engines.

You might run into clutch chatter with manual but other wise manual or auto is really a personal preference.

Good luck finding one.

I have a 5spd 96 Legacy with a 2.2 engine. I'm very happy with it. I'm getting 24-30mpg. Had wheel bearings and clutch replaced, but that's about it other than pretty routine stuff for that age of car. The 2.2 is a nice reliable engine.