Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy (wagon). About once a month I have to pull the driver's side headlight assy out to get at the turn-signal connector. The system acts like the bulb is out, but it is something inside the connector. I twist, tweak, and tie-wrap wires in different positions but can never get it to stay fixed permanently. Subaru parts department said the connector is not available to order, and salvage yard wants to sell only the whole harness.

Any ideas on where to get this connector without having a part number, or how to fix?

Edited by SLudwig

Do you have a "u-pull" yard in your area? If so, go to the yard with wire cutters, and remove just what you need, the connector, bulb socket, or what ever. Cut the wires as far back as you can to give yourself extra wire to splice in the new unit. I did just that to repair a Toyota that had cracked and broken plastic sockets for the turn signals.

A U Pull yard will not care if you remove just a portion from a wiring harness.

It's one of the tangs inside the socket that needs to be pulled back out. It's common on that era of Legacys and I tend to fix them for free when people come in for work.

Pop the bulb out and grab a pick. Pull the three tangs out just a hair so it will make better contact with the bulb.

• Like 1