Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Brumby (Brat) - Only the right side hazard flashers work

Hi there,

I bought a 1991 Brumby the weekend before last and it's been great so far.

I've discovered an issue today, where only the right hand side Hazard flasher works.

When I hit the hazard button only the right indicator arrow in the car turns on and checking the exterior only the right blinkers come on.

Both my right and left indicators work normally.

I'm pretty new to all of this, one of the main reasons I got the Brumby is to learn how to fix things.

Does anyone have any tips or starting points I should consider?

Cheers.

Just an update on this, I was able to fix it.

I took the steering wheel off and cleaned all of the hairy and dusty gunk that was all over the combination hazard/indicator switch using electronic contact cleaner.

After putting it back together the hazards now work!

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Cheers.

great that you fixed the issue!

the blinker system on these older subarus, or any old car is all manual, by turning on the hazards, all its doing is making contact on both ends like if you just turned on the left blinker or right blinker on the lever of the steering wheel column, but both at the same time (not possible unless you have a hazard switch). if you disconnect the hazard switch, you will have no blinkers when you're driving, its basically a bypass double switch, pretty cool how old things used to work when you think about it. today its all by computer..

Edited by Subasaurus