Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soob Noob Searching for 1986 Brat FSM

After a rather extensive search on this forum and the interwebs, I managed to only find two leads for an 86 Brat Factory Service Manual.  I already have the Haynes, but I want something more specific to my model year. 

I found this link here and it appears to be what I'm after, but I don't necessarily want to spend $130 combined for all of the volumes:

http://www.books4cars.com/listings.php?findmake=Subaru&model=%&year=1986&type=Shop

I'd prefer to find a CD with the same information and don't mind paying a few bucks for it.  This was the only place I found it:

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/278037897-subaru-brat-complete-workshop-service-repair-manual

Has anyone ever purchased from this site?  It seem legit.

Totally illegal, they are just selling someone else's work in scanning it (also illegal, but morally a bit better). There are links to FSM's around (and yes, the FSM is so much better than the Haynes) for free.

I searched ebay and didn't find those, probably because I was looking specifically for 1986 - thanks for the link. 

I know after 1982 the gen 2s are basically the same, but did anything significant change between the 1984 and 1986 model years? 

This isn't an urgent need, so I can hold out a little while longer in hopes an 86 book will get listed, but if the only change was the year on the cover I will probably just pick up one of these.

Yahoo Groups, thegreatsubarubratclub, has downloadable FSM files. They are a .rar type file, which means you have to have Office or the like on your computer.

I know I can't open them myself.

And yeah, the '82 FSM will work for the rest of the years the BRAT, or any EA81/2nd Gen was produced.

Use FreeRARExtractFrog to open RAR files (don't DL from CNET). Watch out for a lot of the other "free" programs (or the insanely expensive WinRAR) as they are loaded with malware.

For $20 or so, just buy the hardcopy off eBay. Saves printing out a couple hundred pages.

• 1 month later...

I bought a couple '85 manuals from fleabay today, but didn't see the "sedan and station wagon" part until after I purchased.  I assume it covers the Brat as well since it is for 1800s...anyone know for sure?  Other year manuals don't specifically list sedan a station wagon.  Wondering if it's maybe for the EA82 and not the EA81.  If it doesn't cover the EA81, then I'll be listing it on here for sale once it comes in.

Link to listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281404294470?item=281404294470&viewitem=&vxp=mtr