Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WRX timing belt. which brand?

2004 WRX EJ205. 140k miles, bone stock except some gauges in the old clock area, not even an aftermarket air filter. 2nd owner bought it last year from original owner with 120k miles and now just wants something auto. Timing belt was supposed to be done, but theres no paperwork showing it, so I figure I'll stick a new kit w/ water pump on it and not worry. Few hundred is cheap insurance that it's not gonna cost thousands. I'm used to old EJ22E's, and basically just use Gates kits when I do them, but I have never touched a WRX before.. Are there any ins and outs to a car that 'lives' above 3k RPM like a WRX? We may do some stuff to it, but for the most part it will remain stock.. I've read of a Parrin crank sprocket. Is that something thats a good upgrade? This is now a very good friend of mines car. Going with her to get it on thursday.

For the record, this is about the cleanest un tinkerked with WRX that I have ever seen.

As far as the belt goes I've had good luck (along with many others you can google/search here) with the Evergreen (amazon and brand name) or Mitzumo (same brand, different seller on eBay) timing belt kits w/ the Aisin water pumps.  I get the whole kit w/ tensioner myself and swap all of it.