Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to lift my 97 Outback - I dislike spacers.

nearly all front struts are interchangeable so look for the tallest EJ struts?  something 2000+...someone has probably already compared them?  forester?

Do you know if lifting the front 1.5" without compensating for camber matters?

Strut top lifts are offset to account for front camber changes.

And they're easily transferrable if the car is wrecked, totaled, hailed on, want to sell, keep the lift and move to next vehicle or sell it.

A Ford ranger with struts? Must be fairly new. Newest I've worked on is about 05 and they still had torsion bars then. Older than that used double wishbone and coil spring.

King lift springs get you a little over an inch. That's the best you can reasonably hope for with any spring/strut combo made for Subaru.

There may be some struts for another make/model out there that will work but you'll have to do some real research on that yourself. Lots of things play into whether a strut will work because the strut is the primary support for the suspension. It doesn't just hold the car up like a spring. It also determines caster, camber, and steering axis inclination.

On my 99 OBW, which is the same body style as your 97 Outback, I over sized the tires. Went from a 205X70X15 to a 215X70X15. That add a good inch plus of lift with no tire rubbing, and no messing around with springs, or struts, or spacers.

Edited by Rooster2

..King Springs. The ride is much improved. The Kings lifted my 98 OB very nicely and at the point of camber where a top hat adjustment was ALMOST needed. Any more lift would necessitate camber adjustment coming from someplace other than the bolts on knuckle. With Kings and camber adjusted at MAX my camber comes in 3/16 inch from true 0. Close enough for spring settling and suspension travel loaded.