Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW Instrument Panel Lighting Intermittently Out

Wife said it happened twice in the past week. When driving at night with the headlight switch in the on position, all of a sudden the instrument panel (the entire speedo and tach area) went black. The headlights were still illuminating the roads when the panel went black. She then manually turned the headlight switch off and back on. Doing so brought back the instrument panel light both times. The light bulb in the panel has never been replaced (I bought this car new). I think for the 96, there is only 1 bulb located in the top area of the panel supplying light to the entire speedo, tach, fuel and water temp gauges. How should I troubleshoot? That bulb is still good because she can bring the lighting back by turning the headlight switch off and on.

Could it be a flakey contact in the rheostat for the instrument panel-lights?

Try turning the adjustment for the panel-lights (located on the headlamp stalk); that just may clear the problem.

That's a good thought. I'll try that and report back in a few days.

i would R&R the instrument cluster .

check the wire connectors,

and thje screws on the back side on the circuit board.

they act as the ground connection.

Worth trying. If I do that, I'd like to replace the bulb since it's 19 years old. Anyone knows the size/# of the bulb? I believe the only bulb is on the top and in front of the panel. It's a 96 Outback.

There are about 6 bulbs in the instrument panel IIRC. Possible they've all burned out over the years and the last is getting ready to go as well?

I was wrong earlier saying there was only 1 bulb. There are several on the back side of the panel. The light on the top area in front of the panel I was referring to is for illuminating the gauge needles. These 4 needles on the 96 are not self-illuminating. But my intermittent problem is that when this problem does not show up, all bulbs work. When the problem shows up, none works. The entire panel is pitch black. It's all or none. So it's not a bulb issue. It's probably a bad connection somewhere or a switch on/off issue. This problem did not happen last night.