Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about lifting impreza

I have a 93 impreza that I'm putting all the lift parts off a 98 outback(body mounts,struts..etc) and had a question. Being as its my daily driver and won't be able to do it all at once can't have the car off the road for very long. Would it hurt anything to just lift the rear and wait say in a week do everything in the front of the car. I'm might put the outback struts on the front to even it out a little. Would this be OK to do or should I try to get it all done at once?

If you can do it all at once then get an alignment, that's best. If  you have to do it a few pieces at a time, try not to put on too many miles or you might get weird tire wear.

The hardest part will likely be breaking loose all of the bolts. If you use a Liquid Wrench on all of the bolts once a day for 3+ days before trying to work on it, everything will go way faster and you'll probably be able to do the swap in a day. You could even break the bolts loose on the struts, brackets, etc. ahead of time (tighten them back down once you've got them freed up) so that it goes quickly when you actually do the swap.

The short answer to your question is YES you can do the rear then the front, but you shouldn't need to if you do a little bit of work ahead of time.

• Like 1

Thanks. I kinda figured that I could do the rear then the front, I was just hoping it wouldn't throw the driveline angles or something else off. The more I think about it though I might try to do it all in one weekend. Might be a little simpler too,I'm doing the brake swap off the outback also.

I did this for the first time on a rusty 97 Impreza and it took about 5 hours - mostly due to breaking some of the captive nuts on the trailing arm brackets.

As mentioned, start now by daily soaking the nuts and threads with some PB blaster. Be sure to access the captive nuts above the trailing arm brackets (You may need to drill a hole. Get a flashlight to be sure)

On a california car without rust, I be I could do it in 2 hours. Don't mess with trying to drive it half lifted, just set aside some time or have a plan B and get it all done.

The outback I'm getting the parts off of is pretty rusty,the rear shock tower is rusted out. I think I'm going to get a case of pb blaster to get it apart. I'll soak them down real good. I had a couple of those captive nuts break off on a impreza I parted out ya no fun. Its one of the perks of living in the rust belt.

I think it will be best just to do it all at once. I should be able to get it all done over a weekend