Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Impreza with a bad 4eat trans...... recently picked up a 95 Legacy 4eat trans..... how do I change the speed sensor that's in the Legacy trans to the cable set-up in the Impreza?  Trans codes on the VIN tags read Impreza...TZ102ZA3BA and TZ102ZAAAA on the Legacy.   Also, do they have the same final drive gear ratios? so I don't have to change the rear diff... Thanks in advance for any help. Gary in Cleveland, Ohio

Both those transmissions appear to be a 4.11 final drive so swap away. General rule with rare exceptions is

Legacy Outback, Legacy GT and Impreza RS - 4.44

Legacy (Non outback or GT) and Impreza (Not RS) - 4.11

Or if it came stock with a 2.5 it's 4.44. If it came stock with a 2.2 or 1.8 it's a 4.11

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Oh yeah, by the way the 95 Impreza is long gone...... all of this is going into my '83.5 Turbo Brat that I custom built a 3"lift with the entire Impreza suspension. I just checked my old posts......can't believe it's been 10 years since I started this project. :)

Edited by themixtoo

There was no way the speed sensor would come out without a fight. Had to break off the plastic connector, get the die grinder out and trim the aluminum housing down to exactly the 17mm size of the piece the screwed into the bellhousing. Then had to tap the 17mm 6 point socket on to what was left and finally I was able to extract it. What a bitch..... The metal that the speed sensor is made out of is much softer material than the alloy used in the bellhousing, so trying to remove it with a 17mm open-end wrench is not very practical.

So....after all this BS...I decided to clean out the interior so I could work on installing the Impreza wiring harness..... guess what I found... the original speedo cable from the original '83 auto trans.....same threads to mate in the Legacy trans, and this one has plastic threads so it can't seize up in the belhousing....LOL