Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Relays under passenger seat? EA81

Can someone tell me more about these relays? The relay closest to the passenger door is corroded and obviously missing wires, but not sure what either of them do...

Looks like #5 and 6 in the pic. Ignition relay and Automatic choke relay. But the car runs fine... how can it run fine without both of these operating properly? Unless... funky wiring jimmyrigs...Switches.png

Power window relay & breaker ( 8 + 9 ) are under seat  + control box ( 7 ) is under dash with bonnet pull release, along with choke & ignition ( 11 + 5 ) relays if installed. Door switch ( 6 ) is where you'd expect it to be ... :P

Cheers, Bantum ...

Well did say if power are windows installed ... :rolleyes:

They look more like Indicator relays ( which are normally found under the dash ), will come back to this ... :ph34r:

To help identify these, take some pictures of the areas mentioned to show us what's there & take note of any wire traces ( colours etc. ) & what they connect to ( what's on the other end ) + look up a wiring diagram ( link to go here, when I find it ... ) to see what should be there ... :blink:

Add : couldn't find what I was looking for but this is just as close :

85bratwires.jpg

Note :  The wiring diagram for the hatch will be similar to this ( as it is for all other models of the same vintage ) + there's only minor / slight variances between models ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Was looking up an old thread, could also be stop lamp relay ...

Add : Found this :

gallery_47281_309_99429.jpg

Note : The Stop lamp Relay can for this should be in the rear somewhere ... ;)

Will get round to re-adding the links when I find them again ( they got lost somewhere along the line )

Ciao, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Ok : found & upload a few more images ...

gallery_47281_309_62054.jpg

This might help identify what you have / haven't got ... :P

Note : That the turn signal & hazard flasher units ( 13 +14 ) do look similar to what you have pictured ...

Sorry I don't have access to a 'hatch' manual, it would be a good idea to get one if you can find them ... :/

P.S. - It would be good to know what year your model Subaru is too ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Thanks for your help, Bantum.

I spent the weekend Weberizing the hatch, so haven't really had a chance to look into this, but greatly appreciate your input.

P.S. - It would be good to know what year your model Subaru is too ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

I have an 86 GL 2Dr Hatch, seems to be the frankenstein of that year. A hatch manual would indeed be awesome.