Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knocking on right turn/acceleration

These 97' Imprezas really keep me busy.

Have done a lot of repair on this one with my youngest son as became of driving age.  Really tried to diagnose this one but can't seem to pin it down.

I'm getting a knock when making right turns, only while accelerating.  When coasting into a right turn, nothing.  Making left turns and/or accelerating in a straight line, there is no noise whatsoever.

Replaced both front axles and ball joints last summer so I figured I might have gotten a bad axle.  Took It back to Autozone under warranty and installed the "new" one on the driver side (seemed to be where the noise is coming from). 

No change, still get the knock on right turn acceleration.  Noticed the control arm bushing on the driver side had leaked fluid out.  Just replaced both control arm bushings.  They needed to be changed, but my noise is still there.

Can't seem to replicate the issue in the garage.  Turned the wheel to the right and had someone spin the tires but couldn't detect anything. 

The rack and tie rods are original (168K miles), rack boot is intact.  Could use new tie rod ends but don't get the sense that's my issue.  Struts are original, probably could use those too..

Any thoughts on what I could check next?

Thanks!

Does sound like half shaft trouble. Autozone rebuilt axles don't have a good quality reputation. Seems like their rebuilder spends as little as possible to refurbish them.  I have one on my OBW, and had to replace it within a year. The replacement has held up for a good while now. 

Installed (yet another) remanufactured axle on the passenger side, that cured it.  Naturally, I guessed wrong the first time by replacing the driver side.  Not even 1 year old and the axle needed replacing.  Wish I had a dollar for every axle I've changed.  Somehow I don't think it will be my last time.

thanks for the suggestions!