Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Cyl head leak?

I recently did a refresh of the engine on my 82 Brat. Part of this was to have the heads reworked and surfaced. After an initial break in of about 100 miles, a few days later put it up on the lift and noticed a coolant weepage from both heads in the same location (pic attached) . Ive done hundreds of heads in my day and never any sort of leekage. But, this is my first subaru engine. Is there maybe some sort of special oring or sealant needed at some spot within the head gasket? I did not notice any such during disassembly, and was not leaking in that area prior that I coudl tell. I Followed fsm guidlines but saw no such comments about sealing this area in any special way. Ive retorqued the heads, and no improvement.

Used Felpro Head gaskets and OEM intake gaskets. No leakage from above dripping down and over.

Has anyone seen similar before? and if so any possible feedback is appreciated.

post-58831-0-36565900-1458651262_thumb.jpg

I thoroughly cleaned them upon return as well as a good flushing of the cooling passages on the block.

I used the Fel pro spec'd gasket for the application. No holes that were in the block or head was not present on the gaskets.

Yes I have the UV die test kit. Have not used it on this engine yet. But this is a Clean fresh rebuild, All new seals, gaskets,hoses, etc. no leaks are immenating from above and wicking down and over, trust me that is the first thing I checked. This is weepage coming from this area on BOTH  cyl heads. I had really hoped it was just an issue of both heads needing a retorque after a rebuild. But that was not the case. I retorqued both last week.Thoroughly Cleaned up any and all residue, then took it for another 50 mile drive, back up on the lift, and once again all 4 of those low points (both heads) had coolant dripping from them.

grrrrr.....weekend die test shows only presence of coolant to be right where its weeping. I think I'll give it a bit more run time to see if it will eventually stop due to the recent retorque, but does not look promising. I guess next good weekend off, will plan on pulling the heads again, new gaskets and maybe a tad of the gray stuff around those holes that flow coolant in that area. Not a fan of doing that though.