Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t distributor will not turn to adjust timing

In my 86 GL-10, EA82T, I've loosened the two hold down bolts but my distributor will not rotate for me to adjust the timing. Is there something different between the ea82 and ea82t? All my ea82s had the same two bolts that, once loosened, allowed me to adjust timing. This thing won't budge, I've tried a good bit of moderate leverage on it so far, it seems stuck fast. 

Don't want to tap it with anything. Is it just stuck from never being moved, or am I missing something?

It's just stuck. You have two options and both involve tapping it. Either starts with soaking down the base with PB Blaster and letting it sit overnight. 1) Take a blunt chisel or similar tool and a hammer and start lightly tapping one of the ears to get it to rotate increasing force if necessary. This may break an ear depending on how stuck it is. 2) Take the cap & rotor off. Get a small piece of 2x4 and drill a hole in it so the rotor shaft sits in the hole. Place it over the top of the distributor and hit straight down starting easy and increasing force if necessary. I know this seems counter intuitive, but it does work. Be careful with the force, or you could bust the housing. What's happened is the oil between the shaft housing and the bore has become solidified over the years and frozen it in place.

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1