Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am Stumped, 96 legacy auto ej2.2

Reset timing belt several times in the past 2 days,  it starts and runs .  shut it off and no start reset the belt and it starts,  here is the weird part i am 98% sure the T belt is rite.  But what would make it not start,   the last time i reset the belt it restarted about 10 times  i said its fixed and took the dogs for a walk.  tried it when i got home and no start. alld the pulleys woodruff key tiing gear and tensioner has been changed. I am stuck  any help would be great.  Thanks

when you say "reset the belt" - why are you doing that? does it shift off-time?, maybe the tensioner is weak/destroyed.

any CEL codes? scan and maybe a pending code will have some information.

when it fails to start - does it crank? crank,  and 'sputter'/try to fire?,  crank and 'nothing'?

maybe there is debris on the crank position sensor or the sensor is intermittent?

when you say "reset the belt" - why are you doing that? does it shift off-time?, maybe the tensioner is weak/destroyed.

any CEL codes? scan and maybe a pending code will have some information.

when it fails to start - does it crank? crank,  and 'sputter'/try to fire?,  crank and 'nothing'?

maybe there is debris on the crank position sensor or the sensor is intermittent?

I reset the belt because the timing woodruff key,gear and pulley were chewed up.  I replaced those parts.  put on the T-belt and it started right up,i thought the no start problem was fixed.  shut off and no restart.   i thought the T-belt was jumping i reset it along with a good T-belt tensioner.

it started right up,shut it of  it restarted a few times then no start.  several hours later before bed i tried it and it fired up.  This morning i turned the crank by hand and lined up the timing marks   ,they are  correct, turned the key and fired right up.  throttle response is good engine is not vibrating and appears good,

i have to install the thermostat   put the fans in and run the car.. previous owner said overheating after the cam seal change   ,   i am pretty sure the HG are fine ,  they did not take the time to get the air out of the coolant system. 

i was looking in the Haynes book and a bad coolant temp censer could cause hard hot starts. and  read on here that a bad cam censer could cause intermittent starts so i am thinking about whats next.  

Also the fuel tank filler neck has a whole in it, i have a new one but did not install it yet,  previous owner black taped the hose i did not see it leak when i added gas to the tank,   

If the tank is sucking air could that create the no hot start problems ?   Thanks

Edited by winginit

crank position sensor can be intermittent with temp.

Many old soobs have run with holes in the filler neck - just throws a p0440 or w'ever code.

how hot is it getting though with no radiator hooked up?

when it fails to start - will squirting starter fluid or brak cleaner into the intake make it fire? maybe it's a fuel problem.

also, try starting with the gas pedal held to the floor - that is the clear flood procedure for flooded engine.

crank position sensor can be intermittent with temp.

Many old soobs have run with holes in the filler neck - just throws a p0440 or w'ever code.

how hot is it getting though with no radiator hooked up?

when it fails to start - will squirting starter fluid or brak cleaner into the intake make it fire? maybe it's a fuel problem.

also, try starting with the gas pedal held to the floor - that is the clear flood procedure for flooded engine.

I am not letting it get very hot  a couple minutes running then shut it down restart then off restart then off,  so far today it is starting right up but i have not tel it run.  

either does nothing not even a pop,i tried it a couple times, i can smell gas with the no start  ,so maybe a no spark condition after it gets warm. im going out now to install the T-stat,  Ill come back here, for your Opinion,  i got to get the coolant system back together then clear the codes, i have a sears hand held scanner.  thanks 

OK - definitely try holding the pedal to the floor next time you think it won't start normally.

when the ECU thinks the engine is cold - like from the temp sensor that is dangling in the air right now instead of bathed in warm/hot coolant - it 'chokes' the car. If you you run it only for a short time, too much fuel could build-up and 'flood' the cylinders on an immediate re-try. but waiting a few hours or overnight may allow enough gas to migrate into the crankcase and/or evaporate to allow a normal start.

you might consider an oil change after this gets sorted.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

OK - definitely try holding the pedal to the floor next time you think it won't start normally.

when the ECU thinks the engine is cold - like from the temp sensor that is dangling in the air right now instead of bathed in warm/hot coolant - it 'chokes' the car. If you you run it only for a short time, too much fuel could build-up and 'flood' the cylinders on an immediate re-try. but waiting a few hours or overnight may allow enough gas to migrate into the crankcase and/or evaporate to allow a normal start.

you might consider an oil change after this gets sorted.

I just installed the T-stat installed the fans and added water turned to key and no start,   i started it 2 3 times this morning and now nothing.  it turns over but no fire.  this time the engine is cold and no fire.

i will change the oil for sure.

i bought this car like this. i am trying to figure it out.  its in great shape with only 115k just need to figure this out.

i was hoping to run it with the fans and stuff to bring it up to temp and see ,but not yet.  thanks

Well i hooked it up to my scanner and  got code 340,  i pulled the cam censor and checked the continuity and there was none,  i replaced it and it fired right up.

Now  the coolant is not circulating, the overflow is sooty alttle milky,  blows no heat  ,  i think the HG are blown .  Maybe the heater core too.

Whats next ? 

well, the car is fixed,  no over heating, new timing belt and all the stuff that goes in there.  new spark plugs. cam censor.   i paid $350 for this car . the kid was throwing all kinds of new parts at it.  and sold it out of frustration. i had a few soobys in the past and really liked this car with only 115k miles,

I am going to sell it,  has brand new tires too!   thanks