Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much is a 230k+ mile EJ251/ 5spd 'worth'?

When my 2001 Forester first started having some trouble w/ a light backfire and routinly blowing a cloud of smoke when cold, I bought my JDM EJ205 swap. I bought complete w/ trans, turbo and intercooler for almost exactly what the local wrecker wanted for a 150k+ mile EJ251.. Since work picking up among other things, I didnt get the chance to swap before cold weather.. I figured the EJ251 was still running good, and the miles keep piling onto it. Currently sitting at 232k with some change. No knocks except cold piston slap, occasional backfire from deceleration and lots of smoke when it's cold/ first start, but once it's clear it just runs great. It has not taken more than 1qt of coolant since I did the timing belt, probably 15k miles ago.. I've been hoping it would just take a dump one day and I would HAVE to make the swap.. But it's just not going to.  Trans has a slight issue with 4th grinding on a downshift but it might be just me. It goes in fine, just gives a slight grind noise. It shifts tight and direct otherwise

Is there any value to the EJ251/ stock 5spd and diff? I think the smoke is oil entering from the valve seals on shutdown, or a head gasket allowing the same.. I'm sure heads need rebuilt and head gasket swap would be about mandatory on it anyway.. I use one extra quart of oil ontop of a 5qt jug to keep it full within a 3k interval. So approx 1.8qt of oil is 'used'.

Other half, does not see the light in a turbo swap when the stock engine could likely last the life of the car... And I know she wants the short block for herself, cause her EJ205 is about pooched ( engines need oil, a concept she can't seem to grasp ). But, NAH. I bought it for me

Edited by matt167

value?  like to sell, not sure what you're asking?

around here I feel like there's a small market for older pre-2005 stuff.  rust devalued 90's stuff, now it's devaluing/devalued pre-2005 stuff, so i wouldn't expect the engine you describe to be worth much around here.  i have an EJ25, was offered another running one for free, but just not worth my time any more.  

but in the right area, with the right demand, yes there is value to it - depending what you mean.