Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91legacy awd selector stuck....

Hey there all. Just joined this board and wanted to see which section would give me some ideas on how to proceed with some issues I have with my "new"1991 legacy... Basically the push button switch seems glued in the down position and the car is locked in 4wd. I located an arm with a cable on the port side of the trans and wondered huuuuuuuh and opened a beer.. Am I on the right track? Thanks there and roll on.....

This is the section for questions on a '91 Legacy.

But, a '91 Legacy in the US wouldn't have any sort of AWD/4WD selector. The only controls would be the gear shifter (whether it's a manual or automatic, obviously, is different), and the emergency brake lever.

A '91 Loyale is an old-gen car, and would have a button to switch between FWD and 4WD.

Yes it does have a red push button on top of the shifter and its stuck in position. While under the car I saw lever attached to a cable it was on the passenger side. I think that the lever which engages/disengages the awd . I don't want to force the lever on the trans or break the push button on the shifter,not sure how to proceed, Thanks for the reply. I don't have a manual yet.

Actually I was wrong my car is a Loyale and a5speed my stuck awd push button was cured using hot water and patience, I bought the car it was roached and seemed like the shifter took its share of spilled cokes just sticky and released after a few seconds . Easy fix! Dump some boiling water on it and watch the magic. Been driving around rapid city streets are slick but Subie barely notices it .eventually it becomes my bugout sled.. Next project noisy bearings, lifters valves... i dunno where exactly but isn't heavy like mains thought it might be valve noise or rod bearings. So I'm wondering what is most common and goes with low oil pressure. Noise does seem to fade occasionally. Hoping to hit the junkyards here but they're"high" man and also charge a lot ....needs parking light assembly for the port side. Brakes and a thumpin stereo next ... Thanks for the reads and replies. Keep on Rollin

Sounds like you have the dreaded Tick of Death, or TOD.  It is actually benign as far as the engine is concerned, but people have come close to suicide trying to eliminate it, hence the name.  It is the lifters. 

Resealing the oil pump usually works.  If that doesn't get it, a new oil pump will.

Fix it when you replace the timing belts, since you will be in there anyway.