Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Gauge/Sender questions EA82

G'day,

1990 L-Series wagon.

My fuel gauge is all over the place. Never goes to full, and goes all over the place.

Doing some research I see that I need to check the sender unit wires. I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I've located what I assume to be the unit in the boot of my car. Please see picture attached.

I tried pulling this plug looking item but it doesn't budge much, I wasn't game to try too hard so I've now come to ask you guys. What's my next step? Do I need to undo all the bolts?

Cheers,

Martin

post-65382-0-19265800-1485746667_thumb.jpg

Edited by metalfanmartin

yes, undo the bolts and pull out the sending unit.  Unplug the wire first.   It will be somewhat 'glued' in with a black sticky gasket goop, which is obviously gas-proof.   You will see a potentiometer, where the float 'grounds' the wire. 

I had to slightly bend the part where it makes contact with the coiled wires ... that was 6 years ago, and my gauge still works today.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not much help but I have a similar problem in my 94 Loyale. The fuel gauge goes up a little with every flash of my right turn signal so It usually looks like I have a full tank. There must be a short somewhere between the right turn signal wiring and fuel sender wires. Perhaps yours is also related to a short elsewhere in the vehicle wiring?

You need to pull the sending unit out of the fuel tank.  When you look at it, you will see how a potentiometer works.  As the float moves up and down, it grounds out the potent-wire at different points - Thus, giving you different readings on your gauge.     Make sure the float is making contact at all points on the coiled wire.   Maybe have someone watch the gauge while you move the float up and down.

Not saying this is your problem, but I have fixed 2 fuel gauges this way.   Good luck.. hope this works.

• Like 1