Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On a 99 Outback(auto trans) is the front diff the same as the center diff?

I am asking because i was looking at craigslist out of boredom,and i can across a super cheap outback that says it needs a front diff.

Is that the same as the center diff? because i know my 05 impreza has a bad center and i have a fuse in the FWD spot on the engine bay fuse box to keep it from getting worse while i wait till i can find a replacement part.

Also if it is bad enough could it make the car undriveable? Even if i put in a fuse like on my impreza?

My hope is that if that is the case i could pick it up cheap and pop in a fuse and drive it home,and them fix it when i fix my impreza.

They are only asking $450 and it has been on their for 2 weeks.

It seems to be in good shape otherwise for it's age,but it does have a lot of miles at 266k miles.

Is it even worth it if i can get it at that price or a little cheaper?

if it helps here is a link to the ad. http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5966341145.html

I doubt that the car is driveable , Plan on replacing the automatic tranny.  You would have to remove it anyway to access the front diff, which, by the way is not the same as the center diff. Also ask about the head gaskets on that motor before you buy or plan on doing a 1996 2.2 swap.

I doubt that the car is driveable , Plan on replacing the automatic tranny.  You would have to remove it anyway to access the front diff, which, by the way is not the same as the center diff. Also ask about the head gaskets on that motor before you buy or plan on doing a 1996 2.2 swap.

Then it's probably not worth it for me,because i have no way of towing it.

says it needs a front diff.

Is that the same as the center diff?

Nope - completely different.  

Front diff is in the front of the trans and drives the front wheels. 

Center differential is in the back of the trans and drives the rear driveshaft (which sends power to the rear diff and rear wheels). 

Also if it is bad enough could it make the car undriveable? Even if i put in a fuse like on my impreza?

l

Absolutely.  Actually those two situations are on opposite sides of the repair spectrum. 
The impreza has torque bind - that's benign and very easy to work around and won't ever strand you or cause issues and you can drive it in FWD indefinitely for the life of the vehicle without issues. 
Front differentials get worse over time and absolutely will fail catastrophically every single time...it's just a matter of when.   Front diffs can go BANG, CLANK, and spew guts through the case.

I am asking because i was looking at craigslist out of boredom,and i can across a super cheap outback that says it needs a front diff.

Is that the same as the center diff? because i know my 05 impreza has a bad center and i have a fuse in the FWD spot on the engine bay fuse box to keep it from getting worse while i wait till i can find a replacement part.

My hope is that if that is the case i could pick it up cheap and pop in a fuse and drive it home,and them fix it when i fix my impreza.

They are only asking $450 and it has been on their for 2 weeks.

It seems to be in good shape otherwise for it's age,but it does have a lot of miles at 266k miles.

Is it even worth it if i can get it at that price or a little cheaper?

if it helps here is a link to the ad. http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5966341145.html

Automatics don't have a center diff. If the front diff is toast it pretty much needs a transmission. No fuse or special oil is going to fix it.

Worth it to check the front axles. Cheapo axles can break and cause lots of noise sounding similar to a chewed up front diff. Probably still a good deal either way.

Edited by Fairtax4me