Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two broken lug nuts from tire replacement!

Over the summer, I bought a new set of tires for the Forester from Costco.  Today, I went back for a tire rotation, and the guy in charge told me who ever put the tires back on the car cross threaded 2 of the lug nuts.  They had to break the lugs to get the tires off.  Apparently, they said that the technician may have put the lugs in the gun before starting the threading on the car.

They said that they would reimburse me on the expense.  What do you think this would wind up costing?

Do you think it is worth going back to dealer for this?  I am concerned the other lug nuts could have damage too.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Yup. Just let them make good on the mistake. They came forward with it rather than try to cover it up or claim that the studs sheared or were rusted etc.

On these cars it's very straightforward. Let them replace the 2 studs and keep on driving. Any decent shop can do it for an hour or so labor and $5-10 for the two studs.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Just take off one lug nut at a time, inspect the thread, and replace before doing the next nut. Gives you peace of mind, and you really don't want to get a flat and not be able to remove the wheel... If you find any with "iffy" threads, mark the lugnut with a spot of paint or tape and run it back to Costco so they can fix them also.