Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in need of help. I have a 1996 Legacy GT with the 2.5l motor. I changed the front camshaft oil seal and the timing belt. During the process things got out of wack.

The engine will start and seems to run fine on fast idle (2500-3000 rpm) for 15-20 secs. Idle drops (below 1000 rpm) engine starts running rough and spitting and sputtering. I try giving it gas and it won't rev up and dies at that point if I don't shut it off first.

All timing marks are in what I think are the proper positions according to the diagram that's posted all over the internet and in the Haynes manual. Problem is the marks on the belt and the marks on the pulleys and on the cover won't line up perfectly, like it shows in the diagram.

I don't know if what's happening is a result of the timing belt being off by a tooth or if I bent the valves at some point.

Can someone please help?

Other info there is compression at least in the first cylinder.

Have changed spark plugs, plug wires and pcv valve.

couple of ideas - find the tooth count for the engine - line up all the timing marks and count the teeth between marks.  (the lines on the belt won't line-up again for 200-300 rotations, it's crazy)

double check the tube from the IACV to the in take tubing hasn't come off.

recheck any ground wires or connectors that may be loose.

• Like 1

Note: when I refer to right or left, it is as if you were sitting in the driver seat looking forward (in US cars, left is driver's side).

Tooth count between right upper cam gear mark and crank gear mark should be 54.5.  Between left upper and crank should be 51.  Distance between the marks on the upper and lower cam gear for both sides should be 28.  At least according to Mitchell.  If your belt is marked, it may be easier to just take it off and reinstall, though it wouldn't hurt to make sure you got the direction correct.  Also, make sure it is the double marks facing each other on the cams, with the single ones facing the marks on the cover.  Also, listen for any air leaks.  They tend to be a bigger issue at idle.  Not vacuum leaks, but leaks between the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the throttle body.

I figured out what was wrong. This morning I pulled the crank position sensor and cleaned it. While putting it back I noticed that one of the tabs on the crankshaft sprocket was broken off (must have done it when I pulled it to change the oil seal). Couldn't find a new one, went to the recycling yard and got one. Put it on and it purrs like a kitten now.