Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The previous owner of my 97 Outback cut the muffler out. It's pretty loud, so I would like to replace it. I want to go as quiet as possible, so I've been looking at the Walker Quiet Flow. I've seen videos of the Walker but I have not been able to get a side-by-side comparison with the stock muffler. My question is, how does the sound of this muffler compare to OEM? Which is quieter? 

Might or might not be quieter, won't sound as nice, more backpressure (though likely not noticeable unless you really look). I worked in a shop including walker exhaust and never found one piece made as well as any OE. Better than a hacked off muffler and a fraction of the price of OE.

Other thing to consider is stock muffler(s) are almost always heavy, restrictive dead weight. On average, I've found stock single mufflers to be roughly 35 pounds each, or roughly the same weight as a steel spare + jack in many cases, or even a car battery weight. Many aftermarket baffled mufflers are in the 5-10 pound range, if that. You won't really get "loud" until you start removing cats, removing mid-pipe resonator (meant to control 2500rpm~ drone or there about) or god help you, running w/o a muffler or equally obnoxious glass packs.

Best bet is try the muffler out. 

Might or might not be quieter, won't sound as nice, more backpressure (though likely not noticeable unless you really look). 

Are you referring to the Walker or the OEM? 

Right now I'm leaning toward a used stock muffler, which would be an easy install and less than the price of the Walker. I won't be dropping the $180 or whatever the dealer wants for a new one. 

I will take the weight into consideration. Thanks Bushwick.