Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front seat belt pre-tensioners?

Hello all,

I am working on a 2016 Forester that was in a rollover accident. None of the airbags went off, but the front seatbelts aren't working:

* Driver's side belt is extended and slack and won't retract

* Passenger's side belt is fully retracted but is pulled super-tight and won't extend.

Are there airbag pre-tensioners that may be contributing to this? Any tips on removing A-pillar trim and investigating the belt inertia reels?

Thanks,

Jeff in Boston

Replace the belts.  It will be the whole belt/retractor/pretensioner assembly.  B-pillar trim just snaps in, bottom half comes off first.  May have to replace airbag control unit also.

Strange that none of the bags deployed,  had one not long ago that hit a deer and popped every bag in the car.  That was fun to fix.

Yep, i've done it, though not on anything this new.  Just replace the entire seat belt sets, they're one time use. 

On older stuff the ABS controller resets and doesn't need replaced.  On newer stuff they may be one-time use components, I've replaced the air bags every time i've done collission repair on 2000+ stuff so I don't know if they actually need it or not.  Older 1990's controllers weren't one-time use and didn't need replaced. 

On my 2003 Forester the Airbag light came on and stayed on for a while.  I replaced the Airbag controller from a similar vehicle at a pull and pay and the light went out.  When changing seat covers I got the impression that the drivers seat had been replaced at some point (maybe the side air bag had deployed?).  When the airbag light was on I got the code for Airbag Controller faulty which is why I replaced it.

Finally figured out it was the Yellow Tab released then the Green Tab to get the connectors apart.

Finally figured out it was the Yellow Tab released then the Green Tab to get the connectors apart.

Good point!   They're complicated and sometimes require maiming to get apart. Those things are one nutty design.  I don't know if it's heat, age, or what but some don't want to come apart.