Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Outback Wagon, Factory Security System

I'm looking for the location of the factory security module ( not the CODE ALARM SYSTEM with key fob). This security module will disable the starter (relay) and honk the horn (relay) if the driver door is opened and the only way to stop it is to use the key to unlock the passenger side front door. I want to disable this system completely, nothing but problems. 

The factory service manual shows the general location of this module as on the passenger side dash area, or possibly ahead of the dash in the engine compartment. I found some postings that indicate it is behind or above the glove box, but I did not find it there.  I could not find anything that would be the security module under the dash, in the side kick panel, in the engine compartment or up in the fender above the splash shield over the passenger side tire.  

Guess I need some help by someone that has been there before. I must be overlooking it. 

I found a work around to keep the security system from arming. Unplug the hood switch and put a jumper between the two connections inside the plug. The system thinks the hood is open and will not arm. To keep from having the security light flashing all the time remove the instrument bezel and unplug the security LED plug.

I am still hoping to find the Security Module so I can remove it completely. 

It is under the dash all thw way on the left side. My 97 outback had issues so I removed it. I had to jump 3 pairs of wires so the door locks would work and it would start. Google 97 outback security bypass for the video. The guy explains really well on what to do.

Yes I found that video some time back and have messaged with the OP about it. He was removing the CODE add on alarm system. On his car the starter interlock was wired to the CODE system module. He said his car only had the CODE alarm system box and not the Factory Security Module interlock. I think part of the problem could be with 1997 being a split model year. The car I am working on is the old 97 model, the new 97 had a little different looking headlights along with several mechanical and electrical changes.