Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise when motor is cold?

when starting my Brumby in the cold weather lately I have noticed an exhaust noise or engine noise, not sure which but its a sort of 'rattle'? or ''knock'? (sounds like grrrrr) which occurs at about 1800-2000rpm under load and then goes when over those revs

After driving for about 3 minutes or so the noise has gone - or I can't hear it!.

Any ideas.?

Edited by KiwiBrumby

I'm not familiar with the specific year / model / engine.

But it sounds to me like you are describing loose heat shields on the exhaust system.

Buzzing that happens at specific RPM ranges and comes and goes depending on temperature.

But it sounds to me like you are describing loose heat shields on the exhaust system.

Buzzing that happens at specific RPM ranges and comes and goes depending on temperature.

+1

It's a 1984 Brumby (BRAT in the US) with an EA81 and four-speed, i.e. stock.

My 87 Brumby (Brat) with 206K km (130K miles) has a big end bearing clatter on cold start up but goes away once oil pressure builds up  after a few seconds  - engine a little tired - uses a litre of oil /1000km - apart from that still run fine.

And agree ea81s have gear driven cam plus pushrods / OHV

Edited by subnz