Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'78 Brat carb problems

Well my Brat that I recently got had a bad disty so I dropped my EA81 2wd electronic disty into it and I also tore my carb down, let it soak in Chem-Tool, cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and put some new gaskets in it. Now here's my problem: it runs a little rich and when you're into it hard and then let off of it, it backfires sometimes. It also doesn't like to start very easily but my idle is where it should be. Is this a carb problem or does it sound like my timing is off or something? Just need some help:D

yup I did. It was one of the first things I checked while putting it back together. I still can't figure it out. Now it has a problem idling while cold like the choke isn't working. Meh, it stil will leave 20 feet of rubber from the back tire pretty easily:D

• 7 months later...

wow is THIS an old post lol... I had the stock Hitachi on it and it worked but I was getting 30mpg out of it... I did drop a JDM high compression EA71 into my Brat and put a Holley 5200 on it (a Weber knock-off made by Weber) and it wouldn't run quite right for some reason. I had a lot more power though which was the upside but I was also getting like 15mpg from it afterwards. The electronic disty helped a lot IMO. If you need help with an installation, I did a write-up in the USRM here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=38 If you need any other help, I have a revised FSM for gen 1 stage 2 cars that was revised in 1982 I think and I can do a step-by-step process of carb rebuild procedure if you'd like.