Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I need a 2-core rad for my loyale?

Hi All,

I've been reading all the radiator related threads lately, since I've got some overheating issues myself, and have a couple questions.

Symptoms: when going uphill with a full load temperature climbs to about 2/3 up scale (it's normally at 1/3 or so). At this point coolant bubbles into and out of the overflow tank and engine starts to knock more (timing is already retarded a bit to go easy on a worn main bearing). Electric fan works fine.

1) I have a 2-core rad in right now, but I think it might be plugged. About 10% of the foil fins are starting to fall out too. I priced out a 2-core and it's 50% more than a normal replacement ($290 vs $180 cdn). I'm wondering if the normal one would be adequate and better than my current 2-core. Anyone have a comment on the performance of a stock radiator with a fully loaded car in 85'F weather?

2) Is it worth my time to bother trying a chemical flush? I've heard it's a band-aid solution at best.

3) is the popular online shop radiators.com or radiator.com? Has anyone from Canada tried them? Their toll-free numbers don't work from here.

Thanks!

#1: 2-core is extra insurance, especially in BC with long drives over the mountains..... and with a "full load" as you say. If you have A/C, a one-row under those conditions will be marginal. Since you're running with the timing retarded, the engine will tend to run a bit hot anyway. All in all, my choice would be two-row.

For #2 and #3, here's what I wrote in a previous post. I don't know if you can order delivery to Canada.... but it's worth a try.

- - - - - -

My original radiator acted clogged up back in July. I went through about $20 of increasingly stronger off-the-shelf flushes which didn't work. Local shops wanted $50-$70 for an acid flush.

So I started shopping around. Finally settled on a Silla two-row radiator -- it's heavy-duty brass and looks bulletproof. I had ordered two previous (different brand) but they were so light-guage that they were both damaged in shipment. The Silla seems too solid to suffer that fate.

I think I got a great deal: $75 (included shipping). Other two-rows ranged from $110 to $150.

Now, the problem: construction was solid, but the mounting holes didn't quite line up. The filler neck had to be bent back a bit for clearance. It took a couple hours of filing and tweaking to get it mounted. Shouldn't have had to do this for a "drop-in" replacement. The good news was that even with my pounding and bending, the radiator held up and didn't spring any leaks :D

If I had to do it again: If I needed to save $40+ bucks, I wouldn't mind doing the Silla again. Otherwise, it would be safer to get a true drop-in.

I ordered the Silla from Ron at Radiator Supply House, Sweet Home, OR. 1-877-615-3002. He had it dropped-shipped from the Calif warehouse. Just a happy customer...

-- Mark

Thanks EmmCeeBee.

One other thing, from what I gather reading here, the 91 Loyale Turbo uses a 2-core (which is what I got a quote for). Can I just drop in the turbo one? Do the turbos also use an electic fan with a thermoswitch?

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

After searching around and not being able to even find a 2-core that would fit, I got fed up and just put in a new, regular single core. Temperature is fine now, and sits solidly at 1/3 on the gauge even up steep hills in hot weather.