Ultimate Subaru Message Board

icarsoft scanner for Subaru

Hi All;  Been searching for a scanner to read ABS / SRS codes on 2000-2004 outbacks.  The Snapon scanner of course works just fine. I no longer run a full repair shop and I only work on Subarus now , so a $3000 scanner for all makes is not needed.

Talking to a local body shop, the mechanic showed me a vehicle specific scanner (never heard of one) icarsoft makes them for many different rigs. His was for Mercedes Benz . He had a transmission issue and his regular scanner would not access the trans system.  The icarsoft had no problem getting in and finding his problem!  He loves it, couldn't recommend it enough ! Best money they spent !

I rushed home, looked on line and sure enough there was an icarsoft Subaru / Asian specific scanner! Hot Dog !  $250 from the manufacturer or $150 from an authorized  re-seller.  Ordered it right then.  

Spend your money elsewhere it does not access the ABS OR SRS  ... at least on 2000-2004 outbacks.  May work on the newer ones but i'm not restoring them.

They claim outstanding tech help... obviously they must never of needed help because they sure don't have outstanding tech help. I emailed 3 times before I got a response ....the next day! They have not responded at all to any of the following emails. 

I'm returning it Monday and next i'm trying the Autel maxlink 629  recommended here. 

I emailed Autel tech help, they responded within 2 hrs.   They say it will do what I want... We will see.

Hi Tom. Thanks for posting your review icarsoft scanner. I have the autel ml629. It read the srs code on my 07 Legacy. Autel tech support said the ml629 is the global scan tool. They suggested getting the al629 which is the american version and easier to update. Will get the al629 today and will be sending the ml629 back to Amazon. Amazon already refunded my account for the ml629. They said I can keep both scanners for 30 day and keep which ever one works for me. Autel wants me to send in the registration # on the al629 just to make sure it the correct American model. They said there is a Mexican al629 which would have the same potential problems as the global ml629.

• Like 1

Hey Steve;

Thanks for the tip on AL vs ML 629.  I went to amazon and was reading reviews ... boy sounds a lot like my experience at icarsoft. Works for some and not for others,  I'm hoping your experience with your 2007 and another poster I think heartless has good luck with the Autel. I'll give it a try.  Worst that could happen is I return it like the icarsoft unit. 

If this unit does read ABS SRS on 00-04 outbacks I will be sure to report back .