Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm about to have a mini tornado in my Outback

2006 OB manual control heater/air

Heat is on, fan is blowing, air flow adjuster is adjusting.  Drivers side blows hot air, passenger side is cold.  All vents and half the defrost blow hot (drivers) and half blow cold (passenger).  

If I put it in cold, all vents blow cold.

I've got the lower dashboard torn apart... What am I missing??

Edited by BlueSoob
Insert year of car

The HVAC controls on the 05 to 08 are a disaster. The control unit's are steady wth the circuit board failures. Being they are setup for dual climate controls, my guess is there are separate actuators for driver/passenger.... but with how unreliable the head units are - it's probably that turd that's at fault. You will need the FSM for this level of troubleshooting but it might be just as easy to find a good used control unit and try that first. Or send it to Panasonic through Subaru and get it rebuilt. Alternatively get a JDM HVAC unit with a DIN stereo slot and just upgrade the whole mess. 

GD

• Like 1

No it's just a single core in there. The flapper door system I suspect is setup for dual climate control though and you may have an actuator that is failing to respond to the HVAC controls or the HVAC controls are not telling the actuator to move. It's got to be a problem with misdirected airflow. Either something is stuck, or an actuator isn't moving. These cars have pretty complex actuator systems for the HVAC. It's honestly a total nightmare even at the dealer level. And about 75% of the time it's the HVAC control panel itself that's to blame as they have a high rate of solder joint failure on the circuit board. The best fix I have seen is to replace the entire unit with the JDM one that also allows a normal DIN stereo installation. So then you can have bluetooth and so forth as well. 

GD

• Like 2