Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a ea71 fat case bellhousing adapter bolt up to a ea82 5sp tranny dual range?

I have a ea71 fat case bellhousing in storage at a friend's house. He said it was meant to mate a ea71 engine to a ea81 5sp tranny. I have a rebuilt ea71 and would like to, if possible, bolt it to a ea82 dural range 5sp trany to use at highway speeds and later do an ej22 swap. Is that possible? I heard a ea81 engine can bolt to a ea82 trany and it is done for use on highways, but my friend says that the fat case bellhousing woukd not work. What can you all tell me?

I’m dead positive all that info is back there in archives. Extracting it shouldn’t be too challenging. Search that 80’s forum and the expected keywords. 

Not fair for a non mod guy to offer any advice so I’m not of much help other than what I think I’ve seen presented here.

There were adapter plates made for the 1800’s bellhousing to EJ’s.

This is one thing going forward that I hope people appreciate about “old” message boards. The info you want is here in archives. 

Face Dook your inquiry would get mostly smart rump roast remarks and fade off into oblivion. 

Decades of knowledge here ! Wisdom around every corner. 

Good luck. 

how should I search? What key words? Been trying. Thanks for the reply. I talked to my friend who has it now and I think he may have misunderstood what I was trying to do.

so: ea71 engine -> fat case bellhousing t -> ea82 5sp trany dual range