Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission swap.

Hey all!! What would it take to swap a 97 Legacy MT AWD Transmission into my 85 GL. I feel like my EJ is to powerful for the original trany. I would hate to loose my dual range 4wd, but I don't really offroad in it (I have my truck for that), so I don't really use it. Im pretty sure this will be a lot more of a project then doing the EJ swap haha. Let me know what you got. 

You’ll need custom:

- Prop shaft

- Gear selector linkages 

- Gearbox crossmember or an XT6 one may do the job, I’m not 100% on that though...

The AWD with ej22 is well worth the effort. If running 27 inch tyres get a box from a forester as this will match the diff ratio to the tyre size ;)

I’m running a bitza box -  phase 2 EJ dual range front cases, L series 1.59:1 low range with auxiliary oil feeders, SG drive and reverse gears, L series centre locking diff and matching rear housing, custom pinion shaft for 4.111:1 diff ratio (wish I had 4.44) and a 27 tooth speedo drive gear to pull my speedo back to proper accurate :D

And I’m running 27 inch tyres with the EJ22 ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You’ll need custom:

- Prop shaft

- Gear selector linkages 

- Gearbox crossmember or an XT6 one may do the job, I’m not 100% on that though...

The AWD with ej22 is well worth the effort. If running 27 inch tyres get a box from a forester as this will match the diff ratio to the tyre size ;)

I’m running a bitza box -  phase 2 EJ dual range front cases, L series 1.59:1 low range with auxiliary oil feeders, SG drive and reverse gears, L series centre locking diff and matching rear housing, custom pinion shaft for 4.111:1 diff ratio (wish I had 4.44) and a 27 tooth speedo drive gear to pull my speedo back to proper accurate :D

And I’m running 27 inch tyres with the EJ22 ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

Sounds like quite a task. But can be done. What would you say it cost you to do it? 

15 hours ago, ClassySoob said:

Sounds like quite a task. But can be done. What would you say it cost you to do it? 

That’s just my gearbox build for my off-roading purposes with the addition of AWD for everyday driving. Ironically now that I have this gearbox built I don’t drive it anywhere near as much as I used to! It’s also got a front LSD - a very worth while effort too! All up I reckon it’s probably cost me about $2500AU over time in collecting parts etc and paying a dude to put it together the first time in phase1 cases.

You could do yours for the cost of a gearbox and some fab work. If you’re good with a grinder and welder that shouldn’t be outside your ability. 

The front shafts will need to be changed to MPFI L to fit the EJ box. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo