Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible new owner

05-09 specific issues:  front control arm rear bushing, rear suspension seized/rusty, ghost walking, struts are a little weak in this generation but they’re likely to be needed on any car this age/mileage  

of course may run into high mileage wear items like struts and and bushings. 

Subaru brakes, AC, power steering, the 4EAT, all robust and rarely have issues have. Many people never change trans fluid so do that.

that integrated HVAC/radio assembly can frustrate some people but probably not someone like you  

keep matching tires and don’t tow improperly due to the 4WD.

The EJ engine is well known and predictably makes 200,000+ miles easily if you follow people who know that engine well  

Went to look after work. The left strut tower under the hood appeared pretty rusted, I almost thought it was rusted through at first. Body was a bit rougher than the pictures appeared but not a game changer. The team along the bottom of most of the door windows was loose. Seemed to shift a bit harshly, maybe it is just the nature of the brand? Pulled to the right when braking. The exhaust was a bit loud. There was no service history available so no knowledge of timing or head gasket services. The plastic frame around the radiator fan was loose, looked like a broken mount point or two.

Overall feeling I got was that at the very least it needed a lot of small repairs and maybe more. Not sure about this one.

Trans would probably smooth out with a fluid change. those transmissions are awesome for reliability but aren’t the most luxurious machines ever made.  It certainly shifted fine when new I’m just saying older Subarus won’t feel refined. 

Sounds rough. Good eye. You gotta figure when you’re looking for a good deal you’re gonna walk from a few unless you’re lucky. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this one just gave me the feeling that I was gonna be in for a lot more work than I'd like right out of the gate. It also had a broken lug nut on one of the front wheels. All in all it felt like the car probably hadn't been well taken care of. I really don't want something I have to drive home and start right in on brake work unless it's just a simple replace the pads job either.

Thank you for all the help here!

I feel like if I come across another Subaru in my price range I will be able to pretty confidently evaluate it and make a call.

• Like 1

Just an update for the viewing audience. I will not be a Subaru owner after all. I didn't really find any other Subarus in the area in my price range that didn't look like they had just been abused their entire lives or had well over 200,000 miles on them.

I did give a guy a deposit over the weekend for a 2007 Honda Civic EX 5 speed. 176,000 on the car and 98,000 on the engine with a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, upper and lower radiator hose, coolant flush, water pump and a few other parts and gaskets. The car runs and drives great. It has about 75% left on the tires. It appears to be something I can bring home and start driving to work right away without worrying about much until it's time for an oil change.

Thanks again for all the advice, it was very helpful. Maybe I'll look for a Subaru again down the road when I have used up the Honda.

• Like 2