Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clicking from dash when starting

Heu guys sorry if this has been coverd before. So i have a 96 legacy outback. 2.2l with a 5spd manual transmission. When i turn the key to start it there is a fast clicking noise from under the dash. There has been a few times where the car will not start and the clicking is not present. Is there a starter relay in this year legacy? Any ideas?

I'm guessing this 96 is LHD.

If the chatter is coming from the upper left of the dash where the Starter Interlock Relay is located, it is probably a bad Clutch Switch not passing enough current causing the relay to chatter. Or a poor contact on the clutch switch connector, or the relay socket. Or a bad Start contact in the ignition switch.

Temporarily, you can unplug the connector from the clutch switch and jumper the two together and see if it starts. Put it in neutral to try this.

See photos. The relay socket is B105 and it is Blue.

Hope this helps.

Harness.jpg

Starting System MT.jpg

Edited by Rampage

• 2 weeks later...

I would.be replacing the switch, but all im finding local has the lock cylinder with it. I would like to have only 1 key for all locks and ignition.  This is what im finding at the local part stores and all the local bst pages. If this is not the ignition switch can you please post a pic or link to what i need?

18-0663_front.jpg

Do you think the IGN Switch is faulty?

I had to replace the one in our 97 RHD Legacy. It is really not that hard to do, just takes a little time. Release the lever and lower the steering wheel, remove the plastic housing and there it is.

I see that Standard sells the assembly with and without the lock cylinder, so it should interchange if you get one.

AutoZone shows the switch only for $41.49, but they have to order it.

RockAuto shows the switch only for $19.82 and you can order it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1996,legacy,2.2l+h4,1269873,electrical-switch+&+relay,ignition+starter+switch,4700

I never heard of the brand they are showing.

Have you checked to make sure the battery posts and terminals are clean?

The other causes for a no crank are IGN Switch, Starter Relay or socket, Clutch Switch or plug or the Starter itself. See wiring diagram above.

You need to find the culprit through process of elimination or just replace parts and see what happens.

Have you tried jumping the plug that goes to the clutch switch like I posted earlier?

The next step would be to see what the voltage is coming out of the Start terminal of the IGN Switch with the clutch depressed or with the plug jumped.

20 bucks (plus shipping) isn't a bad price for the IGN switch and considering the age of yours it might be a good guess.