Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Please.

Can you dumb down the first sentence please?

Standard points dwell meter?

What does ignition control point look like?

I am of experience of just two of these modules going, sometimes won't start immediately, then dead, let you down somewhere, need ride to spares board and back, replace, all good. Only test was no spark, grumble grumble module, mutter mutter

Sure thing, today I confirmed a bad ignition control unit with my multi meter. Checking for dwell at the neg - contact of the coil. Multi meter is set for 4 cyl dwell. While the engine would start due to no ignition spark the dwell reading was 0.0 meaning there was no signal to the coil to fire. Meter is connected from yellow wire(red positive) and engine ground (black meter led) with ignition off it'll read about 60°. Not that important. When ignition on it'll drop to zero(power on, no signal) during good start it'll jump up(doesn't matter how far, just means you have signal) with failure the it'll remain at 0.0.(no signal). Found an ignition control unit on Amazon for 27 beans. Woooo! 

• Thanks 1

Usually you would use a dwell meter to set points. But you can use it to check the electronic ignition. You're not setting anything. Just looking for a signal to the coil. In customer pay situations I couldn't just sell them both coil and igniter. We had to determine the cause. Quick test proves the failure. It's easier and faster to test for dwell than ohm out a coil. As the coils were internal to the distributor. 

• Thanks 1

OK, that is well explained.

I don't have a DMM that has a dwell function that I know of, but I do have an old dwell meter :)

So attach red to coil + and black to body earth and watch what dwell needle does from IGN off, IGN on, and running ?

Gosh, if this is the simplest , fastest and reliable module test explained on the internet it needs broadcasting or made into a sticker for under the hood !