Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 3 weeks later...

Update, a CV Axle from a 200 to 2004 Outback will not fit a 98 to 99 forester. They are the same length, but the 99 Forester does not have the ABS ring , when I tried installing it the ABS ring from the OB interfered with the housing on the Forester. Note , the 2000 to 2004 Foresters will interchange, they changed the ABS setup and its compatible with the OB from the same years.

13 minutes ago, 1197sts said:

Update, a CV Axle from a 200 to 2004 Outback will not fit a 98 to 99 forester. They are the same length, but the 99 Forester does not have the ABS ring , when I tried installing it the ABS ring from the OB interfered with the housing on the Forester. Note , the 2000 to 2004 Foresters will interchange, they changed the ABS setup and its compatible with the OB from the same years.

Yes it does fit. I've done it many times.  Knock the tone ring off the Outback axle, it's not held on by anything except tight fit and old corrosion/rust/debris.  Hammer, chisel/screw driver and tap the tone ring off. 

You never mention if you're talking about front or rear axles 

I'm surprised everyone missed this the first time you posted, sorry about that. 

Edited by idosubaru

tone ring you mean those teeths on outback rear cv axle, yes forester doesnt have those but main axle will strill fit and that inside cv that goes into diff will fit as well. that axle thought is different lenght , depends from what year model you take from older ones they shorter. i used shoter axles on my 2001 lifted outback from some older imprezas, but i have one forester too , it should fit if those teeths are removable , i never thought that they are.. i have ABS ring on my 2005 outback and those exles are even longer , so check before you change them even if cv's will fit they can be different lenght, at least for lifted outbacks that is very important as with lift rear wheels goes inside pushing cv's inside too and at some point they even locking becomes too long. 

those are outback 2001 rear cv axles with teeths and another is some kind forester rear cv axle that is same lenght as outback, i looked a lot in scrapyards and other axles from other forester models are just longer , and you dont want longer ones, as when wheel will drop it will reach limit and will lock together that cv axle. 

2uugG9i.jpg

but you can allways remove outside cv from axle and put one from your car on it. they fit at least for those years. i tried. doesnt fit from 2005 outback anymore tough but older will do fine. 

Edited by scalman

Front outback 2nd gen cv's have those teeths too.at least mine had and whem i was buying front oem used ones from scrapyard they never gave me forester ones just legacys older years. 

Thats 2001 outback front axle with teeths next is 2005 without and longer

RBhDfsk.jpg

If foresters have those teeths then good if not can change that outer cv if lenght same

Edited by scalman

On 7/30/2020 at 12:37 PM, 1197sts said:

I was talking about front, sorry for the confusion.

Fronts are interchangeable.  Something else is wrong - maybe they’re not original knuckles, or the splines are just rusty dirty and corroded and interfering. That’s not uncommon.

All front 1995-2004 axles are physically bolt in interchangeable.  90s Foresters ABS tone ring is on the hub so you can install *ANY* front 95-04 legacy outback or forester axle your want and the bolt right in.  The issue is something else I guarantee it. 

If you’re installing 90s axles into 00-04 knuckles, they still physically bolt in but you need to verify ABS style if you want ABS to work. But you’re not doing this so it doesn’t matter. 

18 minutes ago, scalman said:

Yh those abs rings removable so if everything else fits lenght and splines then all good. I just never tried to remove them those rings. 

People have said they leave the rings on but I’ve never tried it, they’re so easy to remove it takes 10 seconds.  

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, idosubaru said:

Fronts are interchangeable.  Something else is wrong - maybe they’re not original knuckles, or the splines are just rusty dirty and corroded and interfering. That’s not uncommon.

All front 1995-2004 axles are physically bolt in interchangeable.  90s Foresters ABS tone ring is on the hub so you can install *ANY* front 95-04 legacy outback or forester axle your want and the bolt right in.  The issue is something else I guarantee it. 

If you’re installing 90s axles into 00-04 knuckles, they still physically bolt in but you need to verify ABS style if you want ABS to work. But you’re not doing this so it doesn’t matter. 

Hello, I’m sorry this is 3 year later but I’m replacing the rear diff on a 2005 Baja NA, A/T with one from a forester. The diff itself fits perfectly but the rear axles won’t spline. Do you happen to know which axles fit the 1998-2008 forester rear diff and works for a Baja? Thanks in advance I’m just at a loss for information here.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 1:26 PM, Kaipickett said:

Hello, I’m sorry this is 3 year later but I’m replacing the rear diff on a 2005 Baja NA, A/T with one from a forester. The diff itself fits perfectly but the rear axles won’t spline. Do you happen to know which axles fit the 1998-2008 forester rear diff and works for a Baja? Thanks in advance I’m just at a loss for information here.

2000-2004 legacy, Outback rear axle. 
make sure it’s a Subaru OEM axle. they’ll have a green cup like I’m this example picture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273843602467?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=273843602467&targetid=1645685073288&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1023819&poi=&campaignid=20133407470&mkgroupid=147476396765&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073288&abcId=9312979&merchantid=108560327&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh9LOZz4eXXXBiZuxfnKtt5rn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoIaZl_GzgAMVETjUAR0rlARTEAkYASABEgKUWfD_BwE

• Like 1