Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lightning Strike

Lightning Sparky

My 2019 CrossTrek suffered electrical damage when the tree it was parked under was struck by lightning. I guess this happens once in a while. No body damage but every warning light came on when we started it - pretty!

Towed it to the dealership and they have told me it needs a body control module and instrument cluster before they can investigate further damage. OK. The catch is the instrument cluster is on back order, no time frame on availability. So.....I have a one year old car that is sitting at the repair shop. Had it been 10+ years old (which is what I traded it for) I could understand, but  a year old car and no time frame as to when it might be done? Does not seem like good service to me. 

This is my first Subaru and so far it has been great; not having access to the part it needs is disappointing. 

Looking for insight from other owners on experiences with unusual repairs. 

Who is covering this - Subaru warranty, home owners insurance, car insurance, or are you paying out of pocket?  

There's probably a chance that this car could be totaled - if multiple computer systems and devices are damaged it could create a hefty parts cost. 

Stop in or call them regularly and ask what can be done.  

I'd get in touch with managers - definitely a parts manager because they've got the experience dealing in parts.  Ask them what happens in situations like these and what options you might have.  If the parts manager doesn't seem helpful or isn't experienced - go to another dealer (if possible). 

Service manager too, particularly if it's under warranty.

Either way - i'd be looking for who is experienced and been there awhile and can help a non-standard situation.  Parts manager, service manager, general manager....etc. 

If this is being covered by Subaru, ask them if your warranty time frame will be extended for the same amount of time they have the car and you're not driving it (assuming it takes months). 

You could call your car or home owners insurance (if it happened at home) and see if you have any options - keeping in mind this will incur deductible costs. 

They won't admit it but dealers will sometimes install used parts in certain cases.  I've seen it and heard it from service/parts departments.  It is not very common and they're not going to want to talk about it probably, and you might not want to do it on such a new car.  But maybe for diagnostic purposes or something of the like, this could open up some options. 

My auto insurance has agreed to pay for the repairs with the understanding that that there maybe more expense after the 2 parts are installed. That part I am not concerned about.

I am concerned that I will end up with a "lemon" after all this is corrected, I can see an ongoing litany of problems related to the damage. 

Their answer on why the part is back ordered is that the vehicle is too new to require that part yet...not a good answer as far as I am concerned. We have a lot of lightning in the south on a regular basis, it has to happen to others also.  

I bought a new car so that it could be repaired and kept on the road when things happened. 

I will follow up on your advice and keep bugging them. Thanks for taking the time. 

15 hours ago, Lightning Sparky said:

My auto insurance has agreed to pay for the repairs with the understanding that that there maybe more expense after the 2 parts are installed. That part I am not concerned about.

I am concerned that I will end up with a "lemon" after all this is corrected, I can see an ongoing litany of problems related to the damage. 

Their answer on why the part is back ordered is that the vehicle is too new to require that part yet...not a good answer as far as I am concerned. We have a lot of lightning in the south on a regular basis, it has to happen to others also.  

I bought a new car so that it could be repaired and kept on the road when things happened. 

I will follow up on your advice and keep bugging them. Thanks for taking the time. 

I'd call, or contact, a Subaru regional rep now.  Get a case started.

Have you gotten a work order or estimate with the unavailable part numbers on it?

Have you looked into South Carolina lemon laws?

Okay - so you're talking to the dealer?  I wanted to make sure you're not talking to an adjuster. 

The service department/advisors, know nothing about the shop or parts side of things.  They're customer service people trained on soft skills - which are critical and should be well trained - but that's not what you need right now.  And they're regurgitating information 3rd hand, or worse.  You need someone experienced with the parts supply side. 

(current closures aside), normally I would go in person to the parts department and ask if you can talk to someone that's been there the longest about what happens when parts aren't available for new cars. They should be able to talk to someone outside the dealer and get some feedback on potential availability.  Have you personally talked to the parts manager?  Have you tried contacting another parts manager?  I would keep asking the parts manager or call and find a really good parts manager.  A good parts manager should be able to tell you what interactions they've had - what they've been told, how long this could potentially take, and what your options are.

Yes it's annoying to go out of your way on a new car with warranty - I totally agree and get that this is a time sucking dent in your week (or month).  It feels like it should just be taken care of.  But outliers are always happening in life, and big systems aren't well set up to deal with them - happens in every sector and to every business.  I'd suggest being proactive and engaged on something bizarre like this.

Welcome to the new reality of new cars - it's a throw away culture where average new car consumers want a new car every 6 years.  The current market and consumer buying habits don't support the type of parts supply chain you're assuming.  Like 10 people in the US last year bought a brand new car at full price based on availability of brand new replacement parts. No one cares and the market is designed to give consumers exactly what they want - novelty, gadgets, electronics, refresh..

I get that this is a time sucking, ridiculous situation.  While lightening strikes are common, the number of them that A. strike close enough to a car to damage it, B. damage it enough to attempt a possible repair, C. hit a new car with unavailable components, D. damage those components that aren't available......is relatively small and insignificant and it's not a surprise a large global system isn't set up to support it.  Annoying yet, but that's the new reality in most sectors and businesses. 

Edited by idosubaru

Call the Seattle area Walker/Renton and Auburn parts departments.  These guys see more Subaru's than trees in Seattle and do massive volume...and they're closer to Japan HAHA!  A number of folks on here live in that area and would know who is best.  Have your VIN handy.

I was trying to find part numbers.  85002FL170 is the part number for the limited: 
https://www.subarupartspro.com/oem-parts/subaru-cluster-85002fl170?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1dKahp-n6wIVAm-GCh1yEA04EAQYAiABEgKISPD_BwE

Some of the subaru shops online listed these as in stock - but I'm guessing if you ordered they'll end up sending you an email that they're unavailable.  I have a go to parts manager, but as a rule I don't make a habit of asking him about every question I encounter publicly, I'd wear out those high capacity people I'm close to.  And there's more like him, I think you'll find them with some effort. 

This won't be tenable, but given these components never fail except by outside influence, this is a great practical approach:  Used body control modules are $100.  (These guys have one: 1-800-327-0888).  Instrument clusters are listed for $125 too.  Subaru can marry them to the vehicle.

I'll be driving past you on my way to Sea Brooke Island in a couple of weeks.  Wish I could toss some parts at you on my way!

Well Elite Master, good news. 

The body control module came in and was installed. Turns out it did not need an instrument cluster but something called  an ECU (not sure what that is other than  university in NC). Anyway got a call yesterday that the car was ready and so far seems to be driving well. 

Your analysis of the supply chain is spot on, I get it, preparing for the most common problems and not the outliers. I hope to keep this car for at least 10 years, the one I traded in was 13 years old, and had been called archaic by one mechanic when I had it in for something simple like its 150k service - so used to built in obsolescence. 

Thanks for your support and suggestions, very helpful. 

Enjoy that trip to Sea Brooke Island!

2 hours ago, Lightning Sparky said:

Well Elite Master, good news. 

The body control module came in and was installed. Turns out it did not need an instrument cluster but something called  an ECU (not sure what that is other than  university in NC). Anyway got a call yesterday that the car was ready and so far seems to be driving well. 

Your analysis of the supply chain is spot on, I get it, preparing for the most common problems and not the outliers. I hope to keep this car for at least 10 years, the one I traded in was 13 years old, and had been called archaic by one mechanic when I had it in for something simple like its 150k service - so used to built in obsolescence. 

Thanks for your support and suggestions, very helpful. 

Enjoy that trip to Sea Brooke Island!

Awesome, that was a quick turn around of events.  ECU wasn't mentioned so miscommunication or misdiagnosis, or both, may have also contributed to the delay.  Which is another point - tech's are very good at diagnosis but aren't trained on lightening strikes so it might take a little extra effort to approach that.  Good to hear. 

ECU: Engine Control Unit

• 2 weeks later...