Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Power Loss, smoke from CAT

I have a 1987 Subaru GL with a strange intermittent problem. The engine will run fine 95% of the time, with only a small amount of sluggishness, which is easily remedied by letting up on the gas a bit. But occasionally, usually after running at high idle (3-4000 rpm), the engine loses power and becomes VERY sluggish. I usually end up sitting on the side of the highway with my hazards on and the engine idling for a few minutes until the power comes back. One of the pipes that comes from the exhaust manifold (the right side one) seems to get much hotter than the other one, and it smokes a bit. It doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it kind of smells like burning oil or something, but it's hard to describe. The last time it happened, I separated the Cat. from the engine, went for a spin, and it ran just fine. But,unfortunately the problem is intermittent, and when I hooked the exhaust back up, I had no problems for the rest of the day. This problem can happen on a cold day when the car has just been started up and driven for 5 miles, or it can happen on a hot day in the middle of a 200 mile road trip. It seems like maybe the Cat. is plugged, but everything i've been hearing about Cats is that when they're plugged they're plugged and don't fix themselves. Any help is much appreciated..

Fuel filters can cause a lot of problems. When was the last time you changed them? If your car has 2, I know EA81s do and they cause hell every now and then. As for the CAT you can do what some people do, take the guts out. I've heard some people cut open their CATS and rip the honey comb shiz out, I think it might be asbestos so watch out.

Fuel filters can cause a lot of problems. When was the last time you changed them? If your car has 2, I know EA81s do and they cause hell every now and then. As for the CAT you can do what some people do, take the guts out. I've heard some people cut open their CATS and rip the honey comb shiz out, I think it might be asbestos so watch out.

ya right now on my 86 wagon i have a custom header with no cat there, and the other car in the intermediate pipe that connects the Y-pipe to the muffer i gutted, all i did was wear a dust mask, cut it open with a die grinder, and drive a large screwdriver through it in a bunch of places with a hammer. then just pry/break it all and pull it out, the hammer the car back together and weld her up and your done.

i have also just done this on my down pipe for my turbo coupe.

I am wondering if it's possible that one side is plugged and causing back pressure. I'm going to have a muffler shop test it out. I'm hoping somebody out there has had the same problem and will say "oh yeah, mine did the same thing". .. I guess i'll probably end up replacing the CAT and hoping it solves the problem, but I replaced it 5 years ago because it wouldn't pass emissions tests. It seems like it got fouled up pretty fast...

jstrawther,

Find this problem yet? Had similar symptoms, weird smoke from cat, power loss, comes and goes. I scratched my head and tried to think of everything possible. Finally I decided the turbo must be letting oil into the exhaust. Replaced the turbo on my 87 GL-10, against the advice of my Soob junkyard friend who was saying, "That ain't your problem 'bub'" He was right, didn't help a bit.

Finally figured out it was the tranmission modulator valve letting trannsmission fluid get sucked into the intake. The connection to the intake vacuum is up top at the rear of your intake area near where the transmission and engine bolt together and has a rubber vacuum line slipped over a small metal pipe. Unplug it and see if your smoke disappears. A new vacuum modulator may also help shifting problems if you've noticed any lately.