Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights are unable to switch off at night

I have a 2005 JDM Subaru Legacy B4 that has automatic headlights (when the switch is on) and when its dark out the lights automatically come on. My problem is that when I need the headlights to be off, they wont turn off when it is dark outside (when the switch is off). 

I've done a little bit of research and found that it is most likely is a headlight relay. The problem I am having is that I have no idea where to get one or if that is actually the correct problem. I just came from Japan and even over there I wasn't able to find the solution (kinda difficult if you dont speak Japanese). Now that I am no longer in Japan and am shipping my car to Germany, I am afraid that my car will fail the inspection (inspections here are very intense). So I want to try to get the part in before my car gets here so that if it does fail I can quickly swap the part so it will pass (regardless, I want to fix it so before or after doesn't really matter). I also don't know if the USDM Legacy GT models have the same headlight setup or have the same electrical components. So I am at a loss and am looking for advice.

more likely a Daytime Running Light (DRL)

other half has an 06 Outback... DRLs come on as soon as the key is turned on... there are ways to get around them, but not exactly simple depending on year and model

the DRLs on my 02 Forester were easy to disable... the 06 Outback, not so much

I do know it's not the daytime running lights, I don't need to disable them. I just need to figure out if it is a relay, sensor, or some other electrical component. I've only started having this problem for about 3 or 4 months. 

Also, the lights don't turn on when I turn on the car during the day, they only turn on when it's dark out and will not turn off with the switch (like it's supposed to).

On 12/7/2020 at 2:14 AM, heartless said:

in that case, it could very well be a faulty switch..

I would suggest going here and grabbing the wiring section at the very least for your car.. there should be some diagnostic stuff in there to help you figure out what is going on.

Also, I checked out the file you sent and its not in english so I cant really do much with that.

1 hour ago, B14CKL15T3D said:

Also, I checked out the file you sent and its not in english so I cant really do much with that.

i did not send a file.. I sent a link to a website that has factory service manuals..

most of the files on that site ARE in English.. but yeah, sometimes there are other languages available.

it does appear that the Owners manual is in Russian, lol - but the SERVICE Manual (what you need) is actually in English - I just downloaded to verify

I can not find a JDM wiring diagram to look at. This info is from the USDM FSM wiring diagram that heartless posted.

Look under the dash (drivers side) for the relay panel. Image below. I circled the DRL Relay.

I don't think the relay is your problem. If you look at the headlight wiring (2 pages) it seems the DRL Module is not sensing that the headlight switch is turned OFF.

Also, I cannot find an ambient light sensor for the DRL Module, but I did not look at every page.

Relay.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ill have to take a look, but yea the link that was sent I must've only clicked on the one that wasn't in english. I've looked it over a bit and I just don't see why it would have anything to do with the DRL, DRL should be a completely separate circuit from the headlights. I have no issues with my DRL just with my headlights unable to turn off at night even with the switch off.

Edited by B14CKL15T3D