Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear brake line routing? 93' Loyale

So I've got another Loyale in the garage. Had no brakes so I went to bleed and noticed something interesting. I have no fluid out of the RR line. Unfortunately the lines to the rear are separated in the interior of the car. Where does this separation take place? 

The reason I'm asking, I disconnected the RR line where it exists the interior under the car. I have great pedal pressure and nothing comes out. So the line is plugged/disconnected. 

Hopefully someone knows where the junction is, otherwise I'm going to have to look.. which means tearing out the interior. 

And I do have fluid to the LR...

Thanks! 

Edited by Dbeluscak

If it has a hill holder, one channel splits at the hill holder, and the other will come right from the master (3 port master). If not, all 4 lines originate from the master (4 port). There's a proportioning valve in there somewhere in line to the rears, on the EJ cars, it's under the hood, but I think on the EA82s it's under the car in the rear.

• Like 1

Ok, I've got a 3 port master with a hill holder. The cable isn't connected to the clutch. I'll get to that. I did notice the brakes grabbing strangely, maybe the hill holder has the line "cut off". It would seem without being attached the hill holder is activated. Under normal circumstances the spring would be engaged due to the clutch spring. 

Thanks Numbchux, I'll try that out! 

I'm going assume it operates the LF/RR. I'm going to have to retrace the routing. I could've swore it was operating the fronts. But LF/RR makes more sense. 

I bled the master just in case, checked out the vacuum booster. Here's what I've got; I get fluid out of the FR/LR. I get nothing from LF/RR. Just a few drops and it makes no difference in the pedal height. 

I've tried with the clutch in, clutch out, seems I'm not making any difference. I did try and bleed the hill holder, got a few bubbles out and it seems to be flowing ok..

Seems like the hill holder is kaput. 

So... I'm going nuts tracing these lines. From what I can tell what I thought before is backwards. The hill holder is going FR / LR. I've got great fluid on those lines. Any ideas? Looks more like a master cylinder (I took it off and bench bled today) I've given up for the night. I'll get back to it next days off. 

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Dbeluscak

• 2 weeks later...