Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Forester evaporative emissions canister solanoid

assuming you have inspections and need to fix this, correct?

my 2002 has the same issue, but it does not affect drive-ability at all. I did buy the part from RA, but never put it in... one look at where it goes and I said nope, not dealing with it.. rust is the issue on mine.

that solenoid sits on top of the charcoal canister, at the rear of the car, passenger side. even if rust were not an issue it is not exactly easy to get at.

The bolt was frozen, I tried a 12mm and 11mm--would not budge.  So I wiggled it until it broke off the flange.  

I put the new unit in, the plug, the inlet and outlet hoses.  Still have the CEL.  I'll have to do a code check.  How long if these are properly connected does it take to have the CEL go out? Do these need to be grounded?

Edited by ThosL

Thanks so much.  I pulled the cable off the battery which usually clears the codes, but it came up again.  I checked the connections which looked OK to me.  The previous unit was in rough shape.  Is there any performance issue with these?  Also saw the green connector under the engine to check solenoids, not sure if that would help.  I'll go back to Auto Zone to check the code.  I got 25% off at Advance Auto with an online coupon.

• 4 weeks later...

That ended up being the issue; the plug was faulty on a continuity test.  So went to two junkyards, in 2003 they changed the plug, fatter mating surfaces.

So I found an 11/2001 Outback with a compatible plug and changed it which resolved the CEL code.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got it sorted out

and no, there is no real performance issue with that.. my 02 has had that code since I got it.. i did order a new solenoid, but never put it in, lol - the car runs and drives just fine and gets around 25-27mpg mixed driving - country roads & city - not much for freeway around me, lol

You can't emissions around here without having that working.

Unexpected plug failure, how often do these fail? How do they fail?  A pollution device apparently.

They changed those plugs in 2003, larger, probably as an upgrade.

the plugs for wiring rarely fail, but if it was changed, there was probably a very good reason for it.

yes, the evap stuff is for pollution.. controlling the evaporation of the fuel.

dont have emissions testing here.. not densely populated, so not as big of a deal here. But yeah, if you do have it, then stuff needs to work