Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front diff possible bearing noise?

Reading through some posts and searching for info, I realized someone here has the knowledge to help. I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan with automatic trans. I have been hearing a noise that seems to be coming from the right side of the front differential. Obviously I have changed both front wheel bearings and both front axles to this point (which were bad too). The noise only has to do with diff speed and load whether coasting or accelerating kinda changes sound if you catch it in the middle. It doesn't matter what gear its in, nor rpm of motor. The noise does seem to be more pronounced at first running in cold temps. Another strange phenomenon is the inner axle boot at this location seems to be sucking in, maybe indicating some type of vibration. I have a little gear oil seepage from the retainer at the axle. I have replaced these seals in older Subarus in the past and had success just putting the retainer back to its original position for pre-load purpose. I plan to change this seal but also suspect this bearing may be bad at this location. My question, is this a common bearing to fail and if so can it be changed on the 05 model upon removing the retainer. Also how hard will it be to regain proper pre-load or backlash if I change the bearing? Thanks in advance for your help.

drain and fill is a great suggestion  check old fluid  

Describe the sound more. Whine, grind, thump, whirrr, buzz, ratcheting, ticking…and how it changes. 

does it change going up a hill?

Did the noise change at al when installing new axles and wheel bearings or stayed 100% the same?

Can’t replace bearing or R&P through retainer rings. Disassemble trans, reassemble to identical positions to hopefully retain preload and gear teeth clearance.  It’s been done before by one person in this forum that I know of, he was successful. One of the bearings is $100.

18 hours ago, lmdew said:

I'd drain the diff first and check for metal...

Use Amsoil when you fill it.  See if the noise changes.

I have checked the diff fluid several times and, your right probably good to change the fluid and inspect for glitter! I will try and do that soon and give an update.

19 hours ago, idosubaru said:

drain and fill is a great suggestion  check old fluid  

Describe the sound more. Whine, grind, thump, whirrr, buzz, ratcheting, ticking…and how it changes. 

does it change going up a hill?

Did the noise change at al when installing new axles and wheel bearings or stayed 100% the same?

Can’t replace bearing or R&P through retainer rings. Disassemble trans, reassemble to identical positions to hopefully retain preload and gear teeth clearance.  It’s been done before by one person in this forum that I know of, he was successful. One of the bearings is $100.

I will change and inspect the fluid for glitter, good suggestion. I have checked it several times but not yet changed it. The noise is sorta a whining/growling noise with a maybe a little jingle that is more noticeable when you first drive the car and when it's cold. The noise doesn't seem to change any going uphill, quiets some if you can catch it in no load. The bearings were so bad they overpowered the noise so it wasn't noticeable until I changed them. As for the axles I mostly changed them because the boots were shot and also to eliminate the possibility of them being the issue. I guess I never thought about the bearings being pressed on making it darn near impossible to change in the diff. I may remove the retainer to replace the seal and inspect the race for any noticeable damage as well as change the fluid. 

It's not an exhaust leak or vibrating heat shields right?  The way you're describing and diagnosing the bearing I highly doubt you'd conflate the diff and heat shields but it's happened before. 

it does seem like the diff bearing is a potential candidate.

Edited by idosubaru