Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, so I was rebuilding a ej22e h4 engine from a 1993 Subaru legacy non turbo, I purchased 0.20 pistons and send the block to the shop and they send me back this photo, the cylinder wall still needs to be bored a little more and then brushed, what are my options? This cylinder is useless or this Will dissapear after brushing? Or this is coming from inside corrosion from the water holes inside the block, can this cylinder be sleeved? Will it affect the rest? I'm very disappointed after waited for 4 months the part since I got a lot of troubles with fedex. Thanks in advance

IMG-20221201-WA0014.jpg

Scrap that block and bring them a better one. An EJ22E that hasn't been abused shouldn't need to be bored oversize. With the cylinders laying flat, excess bore wear usually is not a problem. Even so the odds that a smaller shop has the proper equipment, knowledge, and experience to bore one of these blocks properly is slim.

Find a good running used one, rebuild the heads with new exhaust valves, seal it up with new gaskets, timing belt kit, and water pump. Leave the oil pump alone but do buy a new oil pan and pickup screen.

No offense but if you are asking these type of questions then don't split the shortblock open. It won't ever run right again.

Edited by Crazyeights